Tuesday

HOW TO BE AN AUTHOR

What does it really take to be an author? It takes a high degree of discipline which can sometimes be difficult for the "creative mind." My best advice is to limit your writing time to about one hour per day, especially if discipline is an issue. Turn off all the social media, cellphone, TV, barking puppy ( haven't figured out how yet), empty coffee cup, pencil sharpener and force yourself to sit in front of the computer screen or blank page and if necessary, just stare at it. Yep, just stare at it for an hour, even if you do not write one word. Repeat until unnecessary or you give up on the writing thing.
Remember, everyone says they want to write a book and 95 % hit this spot and do give up. Perhaps you want to give into your creative, or life changing, or world improving desires in some other way. We all have a contribution to make in whatever way makes the most sense and frankly, has the least roadblocks for each of us. It doesn't have to be difficult to be worth doing.

5 comments:

  1. Good post. Thanks for the encouragement. I look foward to knowing you better. --Brian @reason4faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is really good advice thank-you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I said I wanted to write a novel two years ago. I banged out 78,000 words over 22 days. I did exactly what you suggested, though I was writing for many hours per day. No distractions definitely helped. My first novel was complete rubbish, but I made it to the end. That made me feel good.

    I have been writing my blog daily for over a year now. It is interesting, now that I am in the habit of writing every day, I don't find the need to turn off the tv and distractions. My point is that it becomes easier with time.

    Great post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete